The Department Of Energy has one of the most diverse histories of all government agencies even though it has only existed for just a quarter century. Its roots arguably began with the Manhattan Project and the DOE proudly supports maintains many historically significant properties and contributes to museums across the country.
Currently, the Department of Energy has 5 main goals:
1. ENERGY SECURITY: Promoting America's energy security through reliable, clean and affordable energy.
2. NUCLEAR SECURITY: Ensuring America's nuclear security.
3. SCIENTIFIC DISCOVERY AND INNOVATION: Strengthing U.S. scientific discovery, economic competitiveness, and improving quality of life thorugh innovations in science and technology.
4. ENVIRONMENTAL RESPONSIBILITY: Protecting the environment by providing a responsible solution to the environmental legacy of nuclear weapons production.
5. MANAGEMENT EXCELLENCE: Enabling the mission through sound management.
For more information, visit the Department of Energy